When I travel within and outside the United States either alone or with somebody, I usually buy few pocket books and magazines from the supermarkets before my departure date. The prices of reading materials are cheaper in the supermarkets than in the airport stores. After the travel, I either keep the pocket books and magazines or throw away the magazines.
Since I occasionally browse the Wikipedia.org website for some ideas for my blog, I discovered the Book Creator tool. I tested it and found it easy to use. I told myself: “Why not download some interesting articles into my laptop?”. Then, the next question was: “Should I download the articles in my PC (personal computer) or laptop hard drive or USB (universal serial bus)?”. I decided to use my USB because I can read the articles in any computer.
The things I needed to create the Wikipedia ebook were:
- Personal computer or laptop
- Internet connection
How Did I Create My Wikipedia Ebook?
May plan was to create 3 ebooks: (1) Personal Finance, (2) Internet Marketing and (3) Journalism.
To create the first Personal Finance Ebook:
1. I visited www.wikipedia.org and clicked on Print/Export > Create a Book > Start Book Creator.
2. I typed the words Personal Finance on the Wikipedia.org search box. The following topics were displayed:
- Credit and Debit – Pawnbroker, Student Loan
- Employment Contract – Salary, Wage, Salary Packaging, Employee Stock Option, Employee Benefit
- Retirement – Pension, Defined Benefit, Defined Contribution, Social Security, Business Plan, Corporate Action
- Personal Budget – Financial Planner, Financial Adviser, Financial Independence
3. For each topic that I wanted to be included in my ebook, I clicked on Add this page to your book.
4. When I finished adding the selected articles, I clicked on Show book (with number of pages shown).
5. I typed the title: PERSONAL FINANCE and subtitle (optional) on the appropriate boxes.
6. I chose the download ODT format from the 4 options: PDF, EPUB, ODT and OpenZIM.
My reason for using the ODT format was because I have a free OpenOffice.org WRITER program installed on my PC and laptop. By doing so, I can either make changes (insertion, reconstruction, deletion) on the articles and export them within the WRITER program to PDF format. In this case, I have 2 versions of the ebook: in ODT and PDF formats. This is a very SMART IDEA.
7. I clicked on Download to download the ebook into my USB.
To create my second ebook: INTERNET MARKETING, I decided to select the following articles:
- Search Engine Optimization – Social Media Marketing, Email Marketing, Referral Marketing, Content Marketing
- Search Engine Marketing – Pay per Click, Cost per Impression, Search Analytics, Web Analytics
- Display Advertising – Contextual Advertising, Behavioral Targeting
- Affiliate Marketing – Cost per Action, Revenue Sharing
Then, I repeated steps #3 to #7 above.
To create my third ebook: JOURNALISM, I decided to select the following articles:
- Journalism – News, Writing Style, Ethics, Objectivity, Values, Attribution, Defamation, Editorial Independence, Journalism School, List of Journalism Articles
- Areas – Arts, Business, Entertainment, Environment, Fashion, Medicine, Politics, Science, Sports, Technology, Trade, Traffic, Weather, World
- Genres – Advocacy, Analytic, Blogging, Broadcast, Citizen, Civic, Collaborative, Comics, Community, Database, Gonzo, Investigative, Literary, Muckraking, Narrative, “New Journalism”, Non-profit Journalism, Online, Opinion, Peace, Photojournalism, Scientific, Visual, Watchdog
- Social Impact – Fourth Estate, Freedom of the Press, Infotainment, Media Bias, Public Relations, Press Service, Yellow Journalism
- News Media – Newspapers, Magazines, TV, Radio, Internet, News Agencies, Alternative Media
- Roles – Journalists (reporters), Editor, Columnist, Blogger, Copy Editor, Meteorologist, News Presenter, Photographer, Political Commentator
Then, I repeated steps #3 to #7 above.
Using the Wikipedia book creator tool:
- I can save money on pocket books and magazines;
- I can download a variety of interesting articles from the Wikipedia.org to my USB;
- I can read the ebooks in any PC or laptop, without Internet connection, using my USB;
- I can lend the USB containing ebooks (no passwords, personal information and other data) to any of my family members and relatives when he/she travels; and
- It is very convenient to bring a lot of ebooks in USB than bringing a lot of pocket books and magazines.
I suggest that you use the Wikipedia book creator tool to save money. You may want to tell your family members and friends about the book creator tool for them to save money, too.
Quote for the Day:
“Now this I say, he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed.” (2 Corinthians 9:6-8)
Hi! If you do not mind, I would like to appeal for your kindness to give money to our Scholarship Fund Raising and Solar-Powered Water Tank Project to benefit our young, poor but talented students and poor, unemployed farmers. You may also want to join the Good People Club and be a part of our SENSATIONAL INTERNET HISTORY! Thank you.
Please announce our blog to your Google+1, Facebook, Twitter, MySpace friends and followers so that they may also benefit from our free stuff and savings. May God bless you! Thank you.